.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bird's Blog

Poetry, musings, observations, commentary, rants, confessions...and who knows what else!

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Teacher, writer, poet, grandmother, lover, wine-drinker, chocolate eater, beach comber, hiker, traveler, Giants fan, San Franciscan. All work on this blog is copyrighted material.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Shameless Birthday Post

I wake up this morning to discover that completing my 49th year isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'd been dreading this birthday - and probably managed to work through all the angst about growing older prior to this day (which happens to be beautiful - the sky a flawless blue ceramic bowl, the sun warm, the air crisp).

My daughter called early this morning to wish me happy birthday- a surprise in many ways - I just didn't think of her as that sweet and thoughtful (proof that you can learn something new, be surprised by folks in your 50th year). Maybe it was her birthday call, or maybe the weight- lifting session I had earlier (get those endorphins going) or the tall glass of water I drank, or maybe all those things combined, but I didn't feel old. I feel ... confident. Experienced.

After all, having now completed 49 years on this planet, it stands to reason that I have attained some sort of wisdom, grace, knowledge (ok, perhaps "grace" is too hopeful - I'm not known for being graceful in any situation). But I am entering the peak of my expertise phase - yeah, you young pups, I know a thing or two (see what I mean about lack of grace?).

But there are also things I don't know, and things I've not done.

I've decided to revamp for this 50th year. Having never in my life plucked or shaped my eyebrows, I've made an appointment to have that done next week. Having never once worn acrylic nails, I've made an appointment to have that done too. Why not? I've never been a girly-girl - maybe I should try it out and see.

But what else have I never done that I want to do? I've never made love as a 49 year-old in the back of a car - I think maybe I should try that. Perhpas it's different than at 16. But it'll have to be a limo - I want some room to do this properly and with all the finesse and expertise of a 49 year-old - hahaha!

Hmmm...my birthday is actually my new year's. Now's the time for those resolutions and goals. I like the goals part better than the resolutions part. Resolutions are meant to be broken; goals are meant to aspire to and achieve.

I've learned that unless you make plans and follow through, goals don't just happen. You have to visualize, stay focused, figure out what steps you need to take in order to achieve the goal.

Guess I need a plan about that limo and lovemaking. Hmmmm...

What a shameless post - but I'm too old too care! Hurrah!

12 Comments:

Blogger Tits McGee said...

Happy Birthday!

January 23, 2006 7:28 PM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

/bark bark bark

No hell no you do not have permission to use my words. And I thought Kalifornia was all pro-animal. Now you want to exploit my "dialogue" with another for your classes' amusement? You betta recognize!

January 23, 2006 9:05 PM  
Blogger Erika said...

Happy Birthday Bird. Hopefully the dog don't bite!

January 23, 2006 11:10 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

To explain K9’s comment:

On January 13, another blogger (wch) posted a piece entitled "Five Out Of Six" on his blog,http://possibilityoffire.blogspot.com/. That post provoked numerous comments, including one from K9, which in turn provoked another series of comments and a suggestion of further dialogue from wch. I responded to the "Five Out Of Six" posting, expressing my disapproval of K9’s approach and then withdrew from the fray. Yet I lurked about, enjoying the dialogue/debate/argument/flame-fest which continued. Finally, I commented again – to ask permission to print the blog posts and comments and use them as a text in an Advanced Composition and Critical Thinking class. I thought an analysis of the logic (and illogic) and the various rhetorical techniques used in the blog and comments would make for a fabulous exercise and discussion. And as you know – K9 traced me from the possibility of fire blog to here to withhold his permission.

If you’re interested in tracking the original post and ensuing dialogue, do so – it’s quite interesting. But I also highly recommend http://possibilityoffire.blogspot.com, not just for the "Five Out Of Six" post and controversy, but for the other posts as well. Check it out.

January 24, 2006 12:11 AM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

/bark bark bark

You disapprove of my approach? Grrrrrrrrraaa ha ha ha! I've got some critical thinkin' for your little birdies to deconstruct.

/grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

January 24, 2006 7:58 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

Laughter. I'm just absolutely delighted by this - what a kick! Love the rhetorical saber-rattling, or rather, leash-jerking, mouth-frothing and slavering. And I'm sure K9 is enjoying leaving his muddy paw prints on various blogs as a result of his foray into The Possibity of Fire. What a hoot!

New possiblities abound for the use of these texts in a formal, learning situation - an ethnographic study of bloggers. Hee hee hee.

January 24, 2006 10:26 AM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

/bark bark bark

Thank Johnathan Livingston Seagull you get it. You have said perfectly what this is.

and, just when I had written a clever little dig on you in case you got all hurt or pissy on me. Instead, take a look at the rap I wrote today on reproductive rights.

its more fun than it sounds, and is a response to "rev x" whom i called out on the carpet in the five out of six thread. He wrote a rap to me and I followed in kind.
He may turn out to be what WCH is not.

in fact, I am going to steal you away from WCH somehow. I can assure you I can show you a better time.

I throw down a challenge for your little birdies to dance in the ring with the great rough ruff.

I'll be in half moon bay soon so watch out for my steaming hot browns, ms.

/grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

January 24, 2006 10:57 AM  
Blogger Polly said...

Happy Birthday Bird !!!..and I am wondering if K9 is really worth all the growls. Still I guess we must encourage the young ( for surely k9 is a mere pup in experience).
Having turned the big 5 0 a couple of years ago I have been determined ever since to try to do one thing 'new' as often as I can. Having seen the results of my daughters ceremic fingernails I shall give that one a miss... looks too painful for me.
Been there done that in the back of a car... you should maybe go for the sandhills, much more comfortable I can tell you.
Have a great year. Wish I could sit in one of your classes.

January 24, 2006 10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy though belated Birthday.

Just wait until the big 70. You will enjoy it all the more.

January 25, 2006 4:12 AM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

January 25, 2006 7:25 AM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

/bark bark bark

whats this? a gold star for the rev and a ruler slam to the paws for the k9? what about my self esteem, teacher?

/howl

January 26, 2006 8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Insoxnava [url=http://wiki.openqa.org/display/~buy-flomax-without-no-prescription-online]Buy Flomax without no prescription online[/url] [url=http://wiki.openqa.org/display/~buy-zithromax-without-no-prescription-online]Buy Zithromax without no prescription online[/url]

December 19, 2009 2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home