.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bird's Blog

Poetry, musings, observations, commentary, rants, confessions...and who knows what else!

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Teacher, writer, poet, grandmother, lover, wine-drinker, chocolate eater, beach comber, hiker, traveler, Giants fan, San Franciscan. All work on this blog is copyrighted material.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

New Year's Day Hike at Land's End

Here we are, the third day of the New Year, and I’ve yet to spend a full day at the beach.

I did however go hiking at Land’s End in San Francisco on New Year’s Day. The trail begins above the Cliff House (a long-standing and popular San Francisco bar and restaurant) and winds around the back of the Sea Cliff area (pricey homes – Robin Williams lives there) and the Palace of Fine Arts (one of my favorite museums), through part of the Presidio and then heads down to the Marina district (yuppie-ville, except of course there’s no such thing as a yuppie anymore – I am not sure what replaced the yups –
anyone know?).

Lovely views along the way of the ocean, Golden Gate Bridge, Marin on the other side, and the Bay.






You can hike down to Mile Rock Beach on the ocean side of the trail (must have a mile of rocks, eh?).






























Rumor has it that this is a nude beach. I have never seen any nudes in the general vicinity. Except of course for the statue of Rodin’s Thinker at the Palace high above.


I confess: not all the pics posted here are mine – I stole a few from the Internet. You will have to guess which ones are mine and which are stolen.
















13 Comments:

Blogger Little Lamb said...

Spend time at the beach and visit Robin Williams.

January 03, 2007 3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is that
robin williams
sitting on that rock?

where are his clothes?

/t.

January 03, 2007 3:07 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

williams is too short and white to be that swarthy fellow
contemplating, reflecting on the rock - pretty buff and cut, ain't he?

i suspect he is an athlete-scholar, judging by his quads and pecs and biceps.

ooohhh... some young nymphettes came along and stripped him bare.

i wonder what else they will do to him?

and whatever might rodin think of all this?

odd things to indeed occur when you are hiking in san francisco.

January 03, 2007 4:13 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

LL: i forgot to say - i don't wish to visit mr. williams. though i did catch him yesterday eve with my daughter - we saw Night In The Museum, which I must confess, I enjoyed. The movie is somewhat predictable, cliche, yet charming and funny nonetheless.

January 03, 2007 4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well,
your hike
around the bay
looks to be very
scenic -- quite rugged -- maybe a bit of a challenge for one on two legs... wings?

nice pics, bird -- is there a prize to be won for correctly guessing yours?

/t.

January 03, 2007 4:18 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

i will have to think about that /t. a prize. hmmmmm... that could make things interesting,eh? what kind of prize would be desirable? i am open to suggestions.

January 03, 2007 4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

$25,000

NEW WIDESCREEN TV

** a chance to post here **

...

birdseed husks

/t.

January 03, 2007 4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

or
a date
with robin

/t.

January 03, 2007 4:31 PM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

/bark bark bark

an excellent day out! eniviable. once in SF i went to the modern art musem and it was closed. on wednesday.
monday is supoosed to be all museums day off. grrrr!

so i missed the famous roy deforest painting of the dogs. you know the one i mean? if i can find it i will post it for you at K9P. of course, on wednesday the museum STORE was open and i bought the poster of the de forest. and then i left it on the plane.

love the cliff house youre right its a classic.

i think the picture of the golden gate isnt your own. mostly because of the coloration of the rest of the batch looks greener or something

now *rubs paws together*

about that widescreen tv....

/grrrrr

January 03, 2007 5:37 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Nice - there's a "Cliff House" in or near York Beach, Maine, too - a hotel near the edge of a cliff.

Recently I narrowly averted careening off of it in a car chase scene.

No, really though, there is a Cliff House in Maine!

And I was sorry to learn of your own dentifrice problems back in my comments section.

- Desultory Dandy

January 03, 2007 7:58 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

Lambikins, I'll be at the beach Saturday night for a bonfire!

Hmmmm /t. these are all fine suggestions for prizes. I will take this under advisement.

Percy - narrowly averted - hahaha - this reminds me of a line Bob Weir spoke years (ok, at least a decade and half) ago before the band launched into an accoustic version of ... the monkey and the engineer. he said those very words: "narrowly averted." yes, a song about tragedy narrowly averted. alas, i think your poesy wasn't quite about narrowly averted tragedies.

But I must protest and clarify - I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH DENTIFRICES. You'll have my readers thinking I've lost my teeth. Heavens!

K9 - you've got me on a deforest kick now!

January 04, 2007 12:21 AM  
Blogger Little Lamb said...

You can toast marshmellows.

January 04, 2007 2:59 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

I am sore afraid - for I do mix up King James with Shakespeareanisms and Victorianisms, tis all good stuff - that I have misunderstood... pertaining to thine dentifrice... about the sound I mistook thee to state it makes in my comments.

Twas no doubt mine own honest anachronistic misapprension, gripped as I am, so to speak, in the teeth of other times and places.

I have put mine foot in mine mouth and set myself to tumbling, mumbling my humble apologies, shooting myself in the foot as usual and failing to dodge the bullet.

"I said something wrong now I long for yesterday-yay-ay-ay..."

McCartney

January 04, 2007 7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home