.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bird's Blog

Poetry, musings, observations, commentary, rants, confessions...and who knows what else!

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Teacher, writer, poet, grandmother, lover, wine-drinker, chocolate eater, beach comber, hiker, traveler, Giants fan, San Franciscan. All work on this blog is copyrighted material.

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Hiatus

Aunty Belle and Boneman have wondered where the heck I am (see comments on previous post).

I have spent the last two weeks:
  • wrapping up a summer program for at-risk high school kids
  • doing some preliminary planning for a spring conference I coordinate (yes, the work starts now)
  • finalizing my fall courses (yup, semester starts in two weeks)
  • going to baseball games (nope, wasn't there the other night to see 756 - drats!)
  • sorting possessions and packing for my move.
My new digs are smaller and I have to downsize. Hey, that view's gotta cost me something, right? I find myself tromping through old photo albums, keepsakes, paintings my former spouse painted for me (now what the heck do I do with those - they've been in a closet for a few years - but I've got no room for them anymore), I've found boxes with the notes he and I used to pass to each other under our pillows. In a quandary about those too.

Found two forgotten boxes of keepsakes from my kids. Old report cards. Notes they wrote me. Ceramic hand prints. Yarn and sock dolls made by both my daughter and son. An old newspaper clipping about my son's winning soccer team when he was in the third grade. Elementary and middle school diplomas. Awards for music (son). Awards for cheerleading (daughter).

I've cleaned out closets - giving two bags of clothes to the Good Will. And culled my book collection -donating 5 boxes of books to the grad student organization at the university where I teach.

And lord have mercy - I dumped about 10 boxes full of old student work and lesson plans in the recycling bins. No need to keep hard copy of the LPs - it's all on the computer. And why have I been hanging on to old student work? I'm nuts!

But I've more packing to do, and moving day is the 14th.

So I am on hiatus - catch you on the flip side in a bit.

Hope y'all are enjoying the dog days of summer!


Bird

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jack K. said...

Thanks for the update. I, too, was wondering what you were doing.

It is difficult at times to sort things out and then wilfully discard an important part of one's life.

I have at least one large box of files that were important at one time. It is in the basement. I never look into it, but I could.

Good luck with the sorting/storing/discarding/moving/resettling, etc. Perhaps a storage site will be of value, or not.

Catch on the flip side.

Oh, btw, you probably are nuts. That ain't all bad.

August 10, 2007 2:37 AM  
Blogger J Cosmo Newbery said...

There is nothing like shifting to make you decide whether your really, REALLY, need to keep something. (Like the box of things that are still unpacked from the last time you moved.)

August 10, 2007 2:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahem... some others of us have been wondering that as well... I don't envy your tasks either of moving or of deciding what goes and what stays... kind of a "Birdy's Choice" situation I guess...

August 10, 2007 6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

moving:

mostly a pain,
but a good chance
to get clean again, too

see you on the other side, bird

/t.

August 10, 2007 9:36 AM  
Blogger boneman said...

uh-oh. I was only guesstimatin', gal.

Tell ya what, I'll offer you a fairly good idea of what to do with the paintings, and even help ya keep track of the things if y'need that, too.

Yer busy as a long tailed cat in a room full of rockin' chairs, so use yer phone. Call galleries and ask if they'de like to help you out with the paintings.
Some will, some won't, most will ask for a way to see them.
Take pictures of them (don't worry so much about quality, just make them outside photos in the shade) and put them on cd and copy and send to any gallery that will look. You'll want a percentage of what they get. 30% for them is good if the artist is great. 45-50% if they think they hjave to hold the paintings for over a year or so is not uncommon. It ain't fair, but, it's not uncommon.
As far as what galleries to contact, as many as will listen to ya.
I'll call some around here, if y'want.

As fer extra projects, yeah. Why do we do that?
Dang, Boone county has been around fer long enough to have their own humane shelter, and yet, here we are, a small group of folks trying to get one started up.
Like I have time to go play....

August 10, 2007 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home