.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bird's Blog

Poetry, musings, observations, commentary, rants, confessions...and who knows what else!

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Teacher, writer, poet, grandmother, lover, wine-drinker, chocolate eater, beach comber, hiker, traveler, Giants fan, San Franciscan. All work on this blog is copyrighted material.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Two Poems

I’ve been dipping into a lovely anthology, Poetry 180: A Turning Back to Poetry, edited by Billy Collins (the 2001 Poet Laureate of the US), and I offer you these two poems, which I've come to adore:

Introduction to Poetry
Billy Collins

I ask them to take a poem
and hold it up to the light
like a color slide

or press an ear against its hive.

I say drop a mouse into a poem
and watch him probe his way out,

or walk inside the poem’s room
and feel the walls for a light switch.

I want them to waterski
across the surface of a poem
waving at the author’s name on the shore.

But all they want to do
is tie the poem to a chair with rope
and torture a confession out of it.

They begin beating it with a hose
to find out what it really means.

Selecting A Reader
Ted Kooser

First, I would have her be beautiful,
and walking carefully up on my poetry
at the loneliest moment of an afternoon,
her hair still damp at the neck
from washing it. She should be wearing
a raincoat, an old one, dirty
from not having money enough for the cleaners.
She will take out her glasses, and there
in the bookstore, she will thumb
over my poems, then put the book back
up on its shelf. She will say to herself,
“For that kind of money, I can get
my raincoat cleaned.” And she will.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jack K. said...

Thanks! They are beautiful.

I have waterskied across the surfaces and waved at the author's names.

The view is much better that way.

The message is, don't fight me, enjoy me.

And, I do.

July 03, 2006 4:13 AM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

/bark bark bark

grrrrrrrrrrrrr. i did your bidding and waited.........and then i saw you wrote another thesis at bogs!!!! while leaving me in the inside the chainlink to wait!!!!!!!grrrrrrrrrrrr!

/howl

(happy 4th)

July 03, 2006 8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we're missing the important point here... what's she wearing under that raincoat?

July 03, 2006 9:42 AM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

/bark bark bark

owe? neva evah boyed. not to worry!
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl enjoy the souza and ditta the hendrix.

/grrr

July 03, 2006 2:47 PM  
Blogger Jack K. said...

Bogs, you know how to use your imagination.

If not, just go here for a reminder.

lol, snork, chuckle, chortle, guffaw!

July 04, 2006 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home