.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bird's Blog

Poetry, musings, observations, commentary, rants, confessions...and who knows what else!

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Teacher, writer, poet, grandmother, lover, wine-drinker, chocolate eater, beach comber, hiker, traveler, Giants fan, San Franciscan. All work on this blog is copyrighted material.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Spring Break

I find myself infinitely bored today. Not that I don’t have much to do (note to self: grade 26 papers; study up on double negatives; finalize lesson plans for three classes for the last 5 weeks of the semester; purchase on-clearance sugar and egg-white candy shaped as ducks and chickens, place in microwave with toothpick swords, set on high for 5 minutes and watch the battle; sketch out 6-week summer course; create a plan for rearranging the furniture and post on marker board where it will remain un-noticed and un-followed for at least 6 months before taking it down; locate Monty Python’s Argument Sketch and work into inductive opener for lesson on argumentation; revise & submit syllabi for summer and fall courses; submit summer and fall book orders – ooops – read several books first within the next 24 hrs; re-assess finances and revise budget; finish taxes and write check to the IRS while imagining that my tax dollars are allocated to the National Park System instead of keeping the grossly wealthy wealthy; pretend to research trip to Paris and London; renew commitment to healthy living by planning to walk 4 miles and drink 8 glasses of water each day of the spring break and then work on psyching up to implement the plan; confirm doctor appointment and then neglect to show up; read poetry submissions for campus competition and refrain from writing cryptic and soul-crushing commentary on the submissions; cancel cable TV and sign up for Netflix; call payroll about this month’s paycheck that is half the norm; contact all bill-collectors and forewarn them that this month they will receive less than half the norm; purchase ingredients for Mojitos, make many Mojitos and get drunk), but I am not in the mood to do much of anything at all.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bird,

the microwave thing...

you're a weird chick...

i really really like you!

/t.

April 10, 2007 12:58 PM  
Blogger Infinitesimal said...

Battle of the nuking peeps!!!!!

My and my friend used to have a thing about peeps, we would just "place" them in the oddest of areas and leave them to their own devices...

hahaha

like in upscale businesses, and banks and such

suddenly, a peep!

and we would check on them from time to time to see how long before a janitorial person found and disposed of them

(You know, this was back before to-do lists...)

come to think of it, i should mail him some peeps.

last time I mailed him neon blue bunnies... and yes, they are still called peeps

your to do list sounds exhausting... better move the mojitos to the top, then invite me!!

April 10, 2007 5:55 PM  
Blogger Polly said...

After reading that I am exhausted!!
Anyone for a drink and a good lie down?

BTW You can buy the book of the scripts of Monty Python sketches. We have it and MP pulls it out every now and again and reads out loud, in voice, The Parrot sketch etc while I sit and chuckle.

( I usually am good at double superlatives... "The most worst", but only in speech. MP has after 35 years made me aware of it...he is a grammatical nazi!)

April 11, 2007 12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bird - hope you find a way to enjoy your time off... I am back off blogging break with a new post: Imus Be Mistaken!

April 11, 2007 6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dont never eat no peeps
marshmellows gives me the creeps
nobody should eat none
'specially with double negs hon

-chickory

April 11, 2007 1:25 PM  
Blogger Jack K. said...

Mojitos?

What about Black Russians?

Sounds like you have a lot of things to ignore.

Or, you could put them off until later. You know, after the Mojitos.

I'm back for a little while with the idea of checking in more frquently.

April 11, 2007 6:20 PM  
Blogger Little Lamb said...

I wouldn't be in the mood for anything either. Spring break should be just that. A break.

I had to search for tires for my car which is no easy task. I called one place which is close to work. I figured while I was at work they coul change my tires if they could get me to work. They couldn't get me to work. Scratch that place. I called a place closer to home, they offered me a good price, but when I showed up after work they couldn't take me, I showed up too late. I went back the next day they offered my a more expensive tire - I didn't do it. I ended up getting tires someplace else the following week.

There's more to the story, so maybe I should just post about it. We shall see. (I'm trying to keep it short here.)

April 12, 2007 2:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YO!

fea-the-red
one

YO! sayest we, YO!

/t.

April 12, 2007 9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo and yo /t.!

i think...
now that i have only a few days left

i should make the peeps fight in the microwave with toothpick swords dipped in chocolate and wrapped in the mint leaves left over from the mojitos - after of course, dipping the peeps in a white russian.

one peep will wear a nappy-headed wig and the other a stringy, dirty, thin imus wig.

i have not accomplished much from list. three days left..
tick
tock.
time
is
almost
up.

flap/flap/flap

April 12, 2007 10:52 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

is that the 5 minute argument, or the full half-hour?

How did the microwave battle pan out? on tenterhooks to know.....

and trip to London? really??? fancy a beer?

April 13, 2007 10:35 AM  
Blogger boneman said...

OK, well, I just happen to be a professional double negative user. I am certifiable (?) and can tell you without doubt or waver in m'stride that it's OK to use no and never in the same sentence.
You may also use don't and can't in the same sentence.

As I just did twice, eh?

OK, maybe they're not really "negative" when one does that, but, what the heck, eh?
Real people use them all the time. And not always as a double negative equalling a positive.

For example. Dubya got in fer a second term. Now, there's a double negative if I ever saw one!

April 15, 2007 6:59 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

lettuce: right now, london is merely a fantasy, but if i make it, i will let you know and we should absolutely meet and hoist a pint or two - hahaha!


boneman - i think i love you! your bush comment provides much needed chuckles - lord knows we don't need no presidential double-negative!

here it is - the last day of my break - i am feverishly working away this morning (ok, not so much if i'm online, right?) to wrap up the odds and ends of this week's lessons and ardently wishing i did not have to face my class from hell on tuesday. happy to face the other classes on monday.

but it's a beautiful day and i'll be out in it soon - off to the beach for me!

April 15, 2007 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home