.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bird's Blog

Poetry, musings, observations, commentary, rants, confessions...and who knows what else!

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Teacher, writer, poet, grandmother, lover, wine-drinker, chocolate eater, beach comber, hiker, traveler, Giants fan, San Franciscan. All work on this blog is copyrighted material.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

BREAKING NEWS!

For reasons passing all understanding, I turned on my television this morning to watch the cable news shows. I used to do this quite a lot (mind you – I didn’t rely on these shows as my primary source of news; after all, I am an educated, intelligent woman) – but in the past few months, I've broken my TV addiction (with the notable exception of watching baseball games on occasion).

The news show was broadcasting a LIVE courthouse scene - the media clustered outside with their mics and vans and cameras, oh my! The headline ticking across this scene in the lower part of the TV screen was:

LIVE! BREAKING NEWS: Brittany Spears about to arrive at courthouse.


I don’t know what station I was watching – MSNBC, or CNN, or FOX - (I know it wasn’t a PBS station, nor the BBC, both stations that would not sport such footage, nor spend one jot of time covering Brittany’s travails).

As God as my witness, I vow to renew my commitment – to just say NO TO TV NEWS.

I’d unplug the set completely, but it’s October, for cryin’ out loud – gotta watch the Series!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and...

did she...

A R R I V E ?!?

WHAT THEN? WHAT THEN?

:)

October 11, 2007 8:35 AM  
Blogger Jack K. said...

Since we have been visiting/working during our visit to our daughter's new house I have watched the news maybe twice. If there is any TV viewing it is taped shows-the best being, Corner Gas. That is one of the best shows on the air right now.

As for BS, her initials say it all.

October 11, 2007 9:44 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

ohmigod /t.! what an imbecile i am! i forgot to keep the tv on and follow the breaking news - i'll have to go find out right away now - since i'm online, i'm sure there'll be no dearth of updates!


jack - i do feel sorry for brittany - she has been poorly used throughout her short life - and by the very people who should have cared for and protected her - her parents.

October 11, 2007 2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how can you not know what station it was on? they all have their graphics filling the screen these days...

October 12, 2007 8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home