.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bird's Blog

Poetry, musings, observations, commentary, rants, confessions...and who knows what else!

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Teacher, writer, poet, grandmother, lover, wine-drinker, chocolate eater, beach comber, hiker, traveler, Giants fan, San Franciscan. All work on this blog is copyrighted material.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

San Francisco Opera in the Park

Last weekend's adventure was an afternoon in Golden Gate Park. The San Francisco Opera performed selections from The Magic Flute, Macbeth, and Appomattox, whom some claim, because it is in English, is NOT an opera. My companion and I dined on cheese, crackers, prosciutto, nectarines and plums, chocolate-covered macaroons, and a lovely bottle of syrah (from who knows what winery). Our neighbors included several college students who were quite friendly and delightful, despite the fact that in the time it took us to consume one bottle of wine, they downed eight. But they shared - and I must say, their syrah was better than ours. They were a cheeky lot - calling me blondie (yes my blogging friends, I am a blonde, a dark blonde, but blonde nonetheless) and encouraging my companion to have me "drink up" as I was babysitting my glass of wine far too long for their (and perhaps his) liking.

No pictures of me, my companion, or the college students, but here's the day in the park in brief (thought Blogger will not let me place the captions in the proper place - I hate their new formatting set up - it sucks!)

The crowd:







An opera lover with the perfect seat:






A duet from afar







Prosciutto Dog:


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

opera
in the park

how very civillized!

really, it sounds like a perfect way to spend an afternoon, bird -- more than anything else you've said about SF, this makes it real for me -- what a wonderful place

great post -- great pics!

/t.

September 16, 2007 9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a great day... the kind of thing I'd enjoy, except for the prostituto... yuck...

come by BogsBlog for a picture of me... yup!

September 17, 2007 6:12 AM  
Blogger boneman said...

I have heard that, also.
Not opera because it wasn't created in Italy...
Bofintwits!
(I dunno. k( started it with "droog" and I just been going along making 'em as I need syllables.)

Tommy.
seems like an opera to me. Take some perfectly good music and bore people to death with it.
Popeye.
Robin Williams did a great job of portraying a cartoon man to music. Obviously an opera, not a musical.
A musical would be like a bunch of non-related songs wrapped around the drama....say, American in Paris or Musicman.
All That Jazz, with shark-boy, Roy Schnieder rates as one fine and dandy opera. The whole of the thing revolves around his dying and all the songs touch on that so well.

But, have to come from Italy?
HA!

September 17, 2007 11:29 AM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

what a lovely afternoon...and as /t said how veddy civilized.its so........YOU. i am so delighted with your new adventure...WHO is the *person of interest* you are calling to inquire about whether they are writing or not. fess up grrrrrrrrrrrrrl.

September 17, 2007 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home