.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bird's Blog

Poetry, musings, observations, commentary, rants, confessions...and who knows what else!

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Teacher, writer, poet, grandmother, lover, wine-drinker, chocolate eater, beach comber, hiker, traveler, Giants fan, San Franciscan. All work on this blog is copyrighted material.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

UNBELIEVABLE!

(Posted 12:31 AM, Wednesday, Nov. 5th)

Joy. Dancing in the streets - literally!

I danced in the streets tonight with hundreds of people. Youngsters, Gen. Xers, Gen Yers, baby boomers. Black and white, Hispanic, Latino, Asian - we were all dancing in the streets chanting "USA! USA!" and "O-BA-MA! O-BA-MA!"

No arrogance. Just joy. Relief. Strangers hugging strangers. As though we had come through a tough time, a hard-fought war that we thought we would lose. Only to find, we won. And won not with arrogance, not at the expense of our neighbors, but on behalf of our neighbors.

All of us caught up by it all.

I have been stressed and depressed so far this semester. Feeling as if I make no difference. As if my work is too hard for too little impact, for too little money.

But tonight, I thought, if we as a nation can do this - then I as a teacher can keep doing what I do.

Yes. Hokey. I know. I am a mixture of cynicism and idealism. And thank God - idealism wins out tonight.

For yes we can.
Yes I can.
Long hard road ahead. But we have a chance now.

6 Comments:

Blogger J Cosmo Newbery said...

Fan-flamin'-tastic!

November 05, 2008 1:23 AM  
Blogger LeftLeaningLady said...

Made me tear up again!

What an unbelievable world to wake up to!

November 05, 2008 6:01 AM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

congratulations boydie.

November 05, 2008 6:41 AM  
Blogger Jack K. said...

YES WE CAN!!!!

Glad to know you had such a wonderful celebration.

I did stay up to listen to the concession and acceptance speeches. As a speech teacher at times, I give them both very high marks.

I wondered why you hadn't been on the web for a while. Well, now you can relax and rejoice, and get to work. We all have to do that.

Ditto what the J Cosmo and LLL have written.

November 05, 2008 6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

CONGRATULATIONS WORLD & USA!

¤ ¤ ¤

/t.

November 05, 2008 8:51 AM  
Blogger Polly said...

Yes you do!
Yes you can!

Well done USA!

We too cried...across the Pacific there were tears of relief and joy, on phones, in homes, in emails, in text messages...we who are not Americans, are so so goddammed relieved!!

And Mississippi...GodDAMN!
(Nina Simone).

November 10, 2008 7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home