.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bird's Blog

Poetry, musings, observations, commentary, rants, confessions...and who knows what else!

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Teacher, writer, poet, grandmother, lover, wine-drinker, chocolate eater, beach comber, hiker, traveler, Giants fan, San Franciscan. All work on this blog is copyrighted material.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

How to Spend My Tax Dollars

Dear President Bush, Vice President Cheney, Speaker Pelosi, Senators Boxer and Feinstein, and Congressman Lantos:

This morning, I received the final e-draft of my 2006 tax return from my CPA.

And so I have pulled out my checkbook to write one last check for 2006 taxes. It’s a small amount, all things considered. I don’t mind paying just a bit more before midnight tonight – as it simply means that I had more of my money throughout the year than the U.S. Government.

No, I don’t resent the amount of taxes I pay.

But I do resent what my government sees fit to do with my taxes.

My government spends far too much money on this war in Iraq. Although I am opposed to this war, the President and the Congress saw fit to authorize it and so I am bound to fund it. I am bound also, by the whim and will of my government, to subsidize corporations and wealthy individuals, while at the same time funding social programs (some of which I support, some of which I don't) that are intended to benefit many in our society who are least able to care for themselves, as well as many who simply need a bit of help.

I realize of course that I cannot pick and choose – I cannot say: “I will pay for this, but not that.” Nonetheless, as I have the freedom to express my opinion (regardless of my ability to make my opinion count for anything), I respectfully request you take my specific tax contribution for the year 2006 and apply it to any of the following:


* The purchase and distribution of the appropriate equipment and clothing to our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.
* Cutting-edge and high quality healthcare for soldiers wounded both physically and mentally by wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (including the requisite long-term care many of them will need).
* Reformation of our voting system.
* Government grants for private energy conservation and renewable energy sources research.
* K-12 education (and not the ridiculous NCLB bullshit, if you please).
* Maintenance of our National Parks.
* Universal healthcare.
* Low-interest, post-secondary educational loans and grants to those groups under-represented in college.
* Outreach programs to reach the aforementioned under-represented groups.
* Comprehensive sex education which includes thorough and accurate information on various birth control measures, including Plan B and abortion.

I trust this missive finds you all in good health and hard at work this morning as you grapple with the numerous problems with which our country is faced today.

May God (if she exists and sees fit to do so) bless you and bless the United States of America.

Sincerely,

Bird

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jack K. said...

She will see fit to bless us all. Isn't that what the stronger gender is hard-wired to do?

bird, you have done it again. you have hit the nail on the head. Yeah, I know, that is more a masculine statement than a feminine one, but it is accurate.

I hope your Spring break was all that you wanted it to be.

I must confess I missed you.

I knew you were swooshing in a lot to a lot of exotic places. Thanks for swooping into my area on occasion.

April 18, 2007 4:42 PM  
Blogger Polly said...

YES!
Well said.
I will indeed drink to this directive by a most wonderous, thoughtful and caring bird.
Cheers..hic.

April 19, 2007 5:06 AM  
Blogger Jack K. said...

hic it is. Black Russians anyone?

April 19, 2007 10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the right is all over this "not with my tax money" thing... why not the left? we pay taxes, too!

April 19, 2007 1:04 PM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

/bark bark

no more money to the UN. stop al money to the middle east. refore the tax structure. i am pro flat sales tax: its proportionate, its fair, it includes everyone including illegals and i want it. grrherha

im pro the nat'l park upkeep. no jet skis or ATV's in nat'l parks either. no helicopter siteseeing. keep it real. keep it clean...and noise pollution free

no universal healthcare for me but i bet you get your dream sure enough.

thanks for the blessing

/grr

April 21, 2007 2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home