.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bird's Blog

Poetry, musings, observations, commentary, rants, confessions...and who knows what else!

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Teacher, writer, poet, grandmother, lover, wine-drinker, chocolate eater, beach comber, hiker, traveler, Giants fan, San Franciscan. All work on this blog is copyrighted material.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Super-Duper Tuesday

For the first time in my voting life, the dawn of an Election Day arrives and I am not yet sure for whom I will cast my ballot.

After 9/11, when Hilary Clinton cast her vote for the Iraq War, and later, when she backed an amendment that would restrict free speech (the whole burning-the-flag- thing), and when she began talking through her mouth from both sides, I told myself, sadly, I cannot vote for her if she runs. I will not vote for her if she runs.

I am not so sure now. She is smart, she is tough. As a policy wonk – she knows the big picture and the details. The economy may very well be better in her hands than anyone else’s. Despite her pandering, she won’t betray women on our right to choose. Social issues may not advance a great deal while she is in office, but they won’t slip any further either. And she is one tough cookie – though I believe she will use diplomacy (and she’s got one hell of an ambassador in her corner who is still much-beloved by the rest of the world, not to mention a sharp political operative and excellent advisor), I’d hate to get into a dog fight ... er ... cat fight with this broad.

And she is a woman. And how proud I would be to see a woman hold the highest office in the land. We could do far worse than Clinton, and perhaps not much better. And though I would not always agree with her policies or approaches, I would not be ashamed or embarrassed to call her President. I would, indeed, be proud. And what a message her ascendancy to the highest office in the land would send young women. I can hear the wonder and pride already in my daughter’s voice, see her tears Election Night in November. I can almost taste my own.

But before Obama announced his candidacy, I, like many others, had sent him an email: Run, Obama, run. I see in Obama a man of integrity and vision. A man capable of healing a divided country and bringing us together for a far more nobler purpose than shopping to shore up our economy. While Hilary Clinton will fight for me, Obama will too – but he will also ask me to fight as well. He will ask me to step up. I agree with his philosophy, his rhetoric. He will listen to those who say no to power, not ignore advice from all corners, before rendering his decisions.

And he is a black man. We could do far worse than Obama, and perhaps not much better. How proud I would be to see a black man hold the highest office in the land.. And though I would not always agree with his policies or approaches, I would not be ashamed or embarrassed to call him President. I would, indeed, be proud. And what a message his ascendancy to the highest office in our land would send to our country, to our youth, to African-Americans who thought they would never, ever, see such a day. I can hear the wonder and pride already, see the tears of joy. I can almost taste my own.

I would be content; I would be proud if either of these candidates made it to the White House.

So for whom do I vote?

The pragmatist in me drives me to strategy. Which one, Obama or Clinton, has the best chance to beat the Republicans? Does it really come down to this then – who is more electable?

Labels: , , , , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger LeftLeaningLady said...

Since I voted for Edwards and he didn't last another 24 hours after I cast my vote, I feel I am the perfect to advise you on this. :-)

This was a great post, eloquent and your points are all very valid. But the question (in my wee mind) is Who can beat John McCain? Can either of them? I am not sure Hillary can, but I am almost positive that Barack won't. I hope I am wrong, and I hope ONE of them is sworn in next January.

February 05, 2008 11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"O-bama!"

that's the smash Broadway musical that will be written about him one day...

featuring the song "The Republicant and the Dems Should Be Friends"

February 05, 2008 12:50 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

LLL - Edwards was my guy. But I knew before South Carolina he wouldn't make it - still wanted to vote for him though. And even contributed to his campaign before SC.

Bogs - friends? fuck the repubs. ooops. i mean, the heck with those republican whack jobs (i did learn a thing or two from our lovely pig - where the heck has he gone?). the no repub whackos might be ok, but i don't know any personally and i don't know of any in public life either. must be some though, right?

February 05, 2008 8:29 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Well, since we were Deadhead influenced, why not go for the ol' "Nobody For President" thang that our ol' pal Wavy started??
Final result will probably be the same no matter what!!??

February 05, 2008 9:12 PM  
Blogger Jack K. said...

I had a really nice comment to make yesterday when my internet connection went lazy and quit.

Since it is past the time for any advice on whom you should consider, I know you did the right thing.

I wrote about my experience at a Kansas caucus.

February 06, 2008 3:13 AM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

go for obama boyed.. try to visualize pasty cadaver man mccain on a podium next to obama. did you see jaywalking on the jay leno show? many americans are clueless dolts not even aware of who is running or what they stand for. we'll get whats coming to us. i see the next eight going to the demoncrats. c'est la vie.

i will be anxiously awaiting all ya'll libs' posts from utopia come 2009. i plan to revert to a cash business model. grrrrrrrherhahahaha

by the way, you dont call; you dont write! *sniff*

February 06, 2008 12:11 PM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

oh wait. nevermind i see it now. "fuck the repubs". was that a line in kumbaya? i missed that. dont ya hate it when the haters hate the haters and the tolerant are intolerant? grrrrrrrrherhahahahahaha

you know im actually looking forward to this in a way?
grrrrrrrrrrrrherherherherherherhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

February 06, 2008 12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bird - I take it you don't know the musical "Oklahoma!"?

February 07, 2008 7:37 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

she: You know, when I wrote that comment about not knowing any non-whack job Repubs, I thought to myself ... except for perhaps the blogger formerly known as ... but then I though - hmmm... is that dog REALLY a Republican?

I cannot watch jay leno and the jaywalking skit - far too depressing. but though many don't have a clue, a record number of voters turned out for the primary here in california. of course, how many of them were truly informed? i know far too many people who voted on propositions without even reading the text - just took advice from friends.

Bogsie baby,
you certainly get the cutting-edge musicals out your way!

February 07, 2008 7:45 AM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

no! im in al qaeda now! ive got a fatwah on Mtv . my first target is the 16 year old chick in miami who threw a tantrum because her first Lexus was the wrong color and that it ruined her life.

let me introduce you to ruined life honey.......grrrrrherhahahahaha

no boyed there wasnt one person i could vote for but the crazy uncle. i shouldnt have trashed the evangelicals since i threw my vote away too.

boyed. theres nobody. except don julio. grrrrrrherhahaha

yeah man. im dying to go to thailand. i loved your travel posts.

as far as musicals are concerned i'll take "oklahoma", hell i'll take "alabama" over CATS!

February 07, 2008 7:59 AM  
Blogger h said...

Apparently you believe that voters will be deciding who the democrat party nominee will be.

Wanna buy a Bridge in Brooklyn?

February 08, 2008 9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

she - no, let ME ruin that 16-year-old... bwahahaha!

February 08, 2008 9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you could make [buckets of money] selling [airports] from home. will call you when i get to [your town]!

-bm

February 09, 2008 12:37 PM  
Blogger savagefredd said...

None of the above

February 11, 2008 4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

                      ×
      •••••      ×   ×
       ••••     ×   ×
         •••   × • ×  ···
           •• ×   × ··
           ··× • ×·
         ·· × • ×
··· ···   × • ×       <3
   ···    ×   × ••
         × • ×   •••
        ×   ×     •••••
       ×   ×      •••••••
        • ×      ••••••••
      ••       •••••••••
    •••      •••••••••
  ••••    •
/t.

February 14, 2008 10:24 AM  
Blogger Polly said...

"Oh the farmer and the cowman should be friends"...see I know it!!And many more musical treats. (BTW you should catch "Sweeney Todd"..and Tim Burton and Johnny Depp..ahhhh brilliant!)
Where was I?
Oh I guess it would be great to see a woman in the White House, but from an outsiders perspective, Obama fits the new energetic, young, leader of the future...his oratory is inspiring to all...even to us non Americans.
And...Hillary did support the war, but she does have a belief in universal medical cover..soo...
I think Obama would signal to the world that America is now going to take up the reins and not continue with the hegemony of the past, but become a part of the world community once again.

(Oh and I have just learnt that USA has troops in over 100 countries...( including Oz). You could save a lot of money and do a lot of good for your own if you withdrew, you know.)

February 14, 2008 4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home